Sunday, January 8, 2012

Back to reality - Atlanta Fat Ass 50k

Jamming out to John Mellencamp at 6am is always a good idea…and why exactly was I awake and rocking out that early on a Sunday morning? Well, today was the start of my 2012 season and my first challenge, the Fat Ass 50k.
The race began wonderfully.  The weather was perfect, my legs felt terrific (must be those CEP compression socks), and I was beginning to settle into a decent pace.  In fact, the only problem was that I promised my wife earlier this morning that I would run at most 20 miles. 
But all that soon changed…
After about 11 miles my body started to realize that I had done very little running since my 50k in October.  Additionally, the brutal CrossFit WOD “Angie” I did on Friday did not help my situation.  Quickly my pace began to slow and I mixed in some walking.  Some walking led to more walking at which point I figured I would just complete my 10k lap and call it a day…besides, the Manchester Derby was being played and I really could not miss that.  GGMU! 
It should also be noted that there was a fantastic chili potluck and because I dropped out early I got a good little sample.  Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment